Triple Bottom Line
Our EnVision Downtown Hilo 2025 Community-Based Vision is centered around six (6) themes or Focus Areas that embrace the concepts of smart growth, livable & healthy communities, and green building design, utilizing a comprehensive and holistic approach to redeveloping Downtown Hilo as a vibrant, walkable destination and neighborhood.
This approach embraces a triple-bottom-line philosophy for “people, planet, profit” or social, environmental, and economic sustainability, resulting in a reinvented Downtown Hilo that once again becomes the center of attention and activity providing significant economic benefits to the entire Hilo community. Added value also comes from Downtown Hilo’s strong cultural and historical significance as well as its physical assets as a coastal and island community.
In order to achieve these goals, implementation strategies will incorporate the following:
- Principles of the Smart Growth Network
- The Charter for the New Urbanism
- U.S. Green Building Council LEED-ND green neighborhood design guidelines
- AIA Communities by Design’s 10 Principles for Livable Communities
- The Partnership for Sustainable Communities 6 Livability Principles
- Smart Growth for Coastal and Waterfront Communities
- CDC Healthy Communities Design
- Cooltown Studios local economic development principles